By sominator @ September 4, 2013 at 7:00pm
Some of the most frequently asked questions by new Neverwinter players are “what are Astral Diamonds,” “what can I use them for,” and “how do I get more of them?” Let’s have a look together!
What are Astral Diamonds?
Astral Diamonds (AD) are one of the most useful types of currencies in the game, and work in synergy with ZEN, Neverwinter’s real-money currency. They are used as the base currency for various services, such as the Auction House and various “time-savers” in the game. Some activities in Neverwinter, like leveling up companions, require time to complete, but if you’re in a hurry, you can use AD to speed up the process. You can also use the Astral Diamond Exchange to transfer AD into ZEN and vice-versa!
How are Astral Diamonds earned?
There is a plethora of ways to earn AD in Neverwinter! Below is a short list of the most common and efficient ones.
- Selling items at the Auction House: When you run a dungeon and obtain loot that is not useful for your character, you can simply sell it at the Auction House. As previously mentioned, the Auction House uses AD as a currency and you can make a nice profit by selling items here.
- Daily Quests: Daily Quests are the most common ways to obtain AD. You can do different types of Daily Quests (PvP, PvE Dungeons, PvE Skirmishes, and Foundry Quests) that award AD upon completion. The rewards differ from one Daily Quest to another. Talk to Rhix in Protector’s Enclave to initiate Daily Quests or simply activate them via the Landing Page!
- Doing the Events: Every half an hour, there’s an opportunity do specific activities and gain bonus rewards. Some of them, like the Skirmish special event, will grant you extra AD. The events appear by default on the top right corner of the screen or on the Landing Page, in the lower section.
- Professions: The Leadership Profession allows you to send your assets to collect AD. The more you progress in the Leadership Profession the more rewards you can get! You can also craft all day long, thanks to the Gateway.
- Selling ZEN: You can transfer ZEN into AD at the Astral Diamond Exchange (more on that at the bottom of this article).
- Invocation: In Neverwinter you can Invocate at campfires once every hour. Invocation grants you several buffs and bonuses, and among them are AD! The first three times that you Invocate during a 24-hour period, you will earn AD. This is a very easy way to steadily and quickly earn AD, so don’t miss out!
- Exchanging items: Some in-game items can be directly exchanged for AD if you talk to the proper NPC. Rhix, for example, will trade AD for items like Jeweled Idols, which are acquired from lockboxes.
- Neverwinter Packs: Some Neverwinter Packs and the Knight of the Feywild Pack will grant you a certain amount of AD, depending on the Pack purchased.
- Lord Neverember AD Daily: All level 60 characters should make sure to talk to Sergeant Knox and pick up the quest “Audience with the Protector.” This quest takes you to Lord Neverember himself, whose advisors will explain what kind of content is available for level 60 characters. After that, Neverember will offer level 60 characters a Daily Quest that’s worth a nice chunk of AD. Make sure you check in with him every day, as he pays even better than Rhix!
- Salvage System: There is a Salvage Trader and station in the western corner of the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector's Enclave. Purple quality gear can be salvaged there for Rough Astral Diamonds. For more information on Salvaging, check this developer post.
- Create awesome Foundry quests: If you’re a Foundry author, players can thank you for your awesome work by leaving a “tip” in the form of AD after playing and reviewing your quests.
- Even more info is available on the Neverwinter Wiki!
How do I use Astral Diamonds in-game?
Before earned AD can be used in-game, they must first be refined. Most of the time, when you will earn AD they will be unrefined Rough Astral Diamonds and stored in your inventory, and cannot be used in this form. You can wait for the game to auto-refine them, or simply open the currency tab in your inventory and click the “Refine” button if you have unrefined AD (for up to 24,000 AD per day). The AD will then be added to your total AD pool.
From that point on, the way you use your Astral Diamonds is up to you! You can use them to speed up Profession tasks, duplicate the appearance of an object that you like, buy some new epic gear in the Auction House, and more. Be sure to visit the Wondrous Bazaar in Protectors Enclave, too – there are many very useful items that can be purchased with AD there, from Identification Scrolls to Lockboxes, the Wondrous Bazaar has got you covered! Check it out at the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector's Enclave or by clicking the Diamond icon at the top of your screen.
How do I use the in-game Astral Diamond Exchange?
A: This is the “Buy ZEN” tab.
B: This section displays the top offers to sell ZEN.
Example: row 1 tells us that there are 2,312 ZEN available for 356 Refined Astral Diamonds per ZEN.
C: This section displays any outstanding offers you have on the exchange. If you wish to cancel an offer, click on the offer to highlight it and then click the “Cancel Offer” button. Canceling an offer will put the Astral Diamonds that you’ve listed on the exchange back into your “Exchange Balance” (F).
D: This section is where you can decide how many Astral Diamonds you would like to offer to buy ZEN. Both fields may have values entered into them, and the “You will spend:” field is automatically updated as you adjust the values above it.
Example: if you would like to submit an offer to buy 100 ZEN, you would put “100” in the “ZEN Quantity to buy” field, and then the amount of Astral Diamonds you would be willing to pay per ZEN acquired in the “Unit Price” field. The “You will spend:” field would then update with the total Astral Diamonds you need in order to purchase 100 ZEN at that unit price.
E: Once you have entered the information in the fields above (D), click the “Post” button to confirm and submit your offer to buy ZEN. When you enter a Buy ZEN offer, all of the Astral Diamonds that you’ve posted for it are removed immediately. If you get the ZEN for a cheaper price, or you withdraw your offer before it is completely fulfilled, you get those Astral Diamonds back. NOTE: ZEN purchased via the Astral Diamond Exchange are bound to Neverwinter.
If there are not any existing sell offers that match your quantity and price, you might get part or none of your order, and the rest will be fulfilled later when there is a matching sell order.
F: This section shows your current Exchange Balance. Canceling an offer will put the Astral Diamonds that you’ve posted onto the exchange back into this balance. Future offers will first pull from these balances, and you can withdraw available Astral Diamonds or ZEN from your Exchange Balance at any time.
G: This section shows your current character’s Astral Diamonds balance, and your account’s ZEN balance.
If you want to purchase items or special services from the Neverwinter Zen Market, you can also exchange Zen for Astral Diamonds by clicking on the Sell Zen tab of the Astral Diamond Exchange!
If you need to purchase Zen for Neverwinter, click here. After your purchase is complete, transfer Zen into Neverwinter on this page. You will then see three boxes: 1, 2, and 3. Select Neverwinter for Box 1, select the server your character is on for Box 2, and amount of Zen for Box 3.
We hope this information is helpful in answering any questions you may have about earning and using Astral Diamonds in Neverwinter!
Click here to register for Neverwinter, the free-to-play Dungeons & Dragons MMORPG. The best part about Neverwinter: it's free to play! Become a Knight of the Feywild or Hero of the North today with a Feywild Pack or Neverwinter Pack purchase!
Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Neverwinter on Facebook for more fan-exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Neverwinter videos.